Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Peoples is funny

Cartoonist Tom Tomorrow over at This Modern World has a comment about navigating the Infotainment Age:

Just got an email from someone at an ad agency who saw a couple of my illustrations in the New York Times Book Review yesterday and tracked down my email address (presumably through the Times) to inquire as to whether or not I had a website with further examples of my work, and where it might be found.



Don’t mean to cast aspersions on the inquiry, though I politely turned it down. I’m just truly puzzled by people who don’t think to use Google as a matter of course.
I always find this interesting any time you're talking about information that's available by automated means. You have two choices. You can push the right buttons and find out something without troubling anybody. Or you can think of someone else who might know, and ask them—in other words, do it the old fashioned way.



If you go to the library to look for something, you can either (a) find it yourself because you've taken the trouble to learn how the library works, or (b) find the nearest librarian and let him hand-hold you through the search process.



I think people are inclined to approach the situation one way or the other, but I don't know exactly what that means about the differences among people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home