Friday, October 20, 2006

Scenes I'd like to see

RJ Eskow at the Huffington Post implies that the real reason Republicans brewed up the original "Contract with America" was that the actual CWA, a/k/a the Constitution, was not entirely to their liking. Recent developments demonstrate a certain antipathy to the concept of true democratic freedom. He thinks Democratic candidates should shine a spotlight on the issue:
Wouldn't it be striking if, in every electoral debate between now and November 7, the Democrat turned to the Republican and said "Why did your party surrender our freedoms to the terrorists?" They could follow up by saying, "If you guys can't defend liberty without giving it away, turn the country over to people who can."
Meanwhile, as the election edges closer, I'm still on the lookout for a reason, any reason, to vote for a Republican, and I'm still coming up empty. It's a variation on the vigil I took up in 2000 for any concrete evidence that Bush isn't the stupid jerk he appears to be. He's had every chance to redeem himself in my eyes, and he's left me hanging every time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home