Monday, March 14, 2005

A better thing to read than this page

When I haven't posted in a while, like now, there are two likely reasons. Either (1) I've been depressed out of my mind and unable to form a coherent thought, or (2) I simply don't have anything interesting, entertaining or important to say. (You wiseasses out there may interject that the some conditions apply when I do post, but having such a mean thought only leaves an ugly black spot on your soul, while leaving me relatively unharmed. Anyway.)

This next bit I think qualifies as important, as we all adjust to a new way of life under the burgeoning power of our Corporate Overlords. I remember a time in our previous century when, in order to be royally screwed over by a C.O., you had to either do business with one or be employed by one. No longer, friends. Increasingly now our C.O.s are free, thanks to the heavy political influence that money can buy, to mess up your life with or without your knowledge or consent.

In the new book "Freedom of Expression: Overzealous Copyright Bozos and Other Enemies of Creativity (Doubleday/Random House, 2005)" author Kembrew McLeod makes his case:
The risk we face today is that the free exchange of ideas could be halted by recent trends in intellectual property—with dire consequences for creativity and the human spirit.
I won't say that you should read the whole book, although if you care about the issue you probably should. I do suggest that you at least read the introduction, which is enough to leave you with an uneasy feeling of moral queasiness. You can download the entire book as a PDF file at the link above.

I won't even tell you to install Adobe Acrobat so you can read the darn thing. Instead, go get a copy of Foxit PDF Reader, a small and well-behaved PDF reader "for free non-commercial use." So that makes two corporations you can thumb your nose at all at once.

Stupid blog. Be more funny!

Maybe next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home